Building an Attached Garage (TS3 Base Game)

Tutorials for The Sims 3.

Building an Attached Garage (TS3 Base Game)

Postby psychedelicsim » February 12th, 2014, 4:51 pm

This tutorial will show you how to build an attached garage using The Sims 3 and the constrainFloorElevation cheat. Adding a garage to a house with a foundation can be tricky and this tutorial will give you the basic steps on how to accomplish this. Please keep in mind that this tutorial assumes you have a general knowledge of building houses in The Sims 3.

Start your game and go to the neighborhood of your choice. Click on an empty 30 x 20 lot. For the purpose of this tutorial, I will be using 21 Sweetwater Loop in Twinbrook, but any lot will do. The first thing I like to do is move the mailbox and trashcan to the far edge of the lot so they do not get in my way while I’m building. Don’t worry, they can be moved back later!

The next thing we need to do is flatten the lot. This is a very important step in getting our garage to work correctly. DO NOT use the terrain tools for this step. Instead, go to Floors & Ceilings and choose some flooring that we will use to make the outline of our house. I like to use linoleum so I can still see the grid.

I have made the main part of the house 15 x 10 and the garage 10 x 14. Please note that this is slightly larger than the house will actually be. This gives us a little extra room to work and also keeps the land flat on all sides of the house. The extra tiles will be deleted later. It’s a good idea to make your garage at least 6 tiles wide so the garage door will be centered. It also needs to be at least 8 tiles long so there is enough room for the parking space.

Before we move on to the next step, go to Roofs and turn off the Autoroof option. Next, go to Platforms, Foundations & Decks. We are now going to add the foundation of our house. I have made the main part of the house 10 x 6 and the garage 6 x 10. As you can see, I have also marked where the steps going down into the garage from the main house will be with two red carpet tiles. It’s a good idea to add tiles to the rest of the main house and garage too, so you can use them as a guide if you need them. These can be changed later. Go ahead and add walls to the foundation.

In this next step, we will be removing the foundation from the garage. Make sure the walls are all the way down, then using the foundation tool while holding down the CTRL key, remove the foundation. You will probably have to do this a couple times to avoid removing the landing for our stairs. Once you are finished, it will look like the garage is floating!

It is now time to use the constrainFloorElevation cheat. To open the cheat window, press Shift + Ctrl + C. Type in constrainFloorElevation false and press Enter. We are now going to be adding walls to replace the foundation we just removed. Before doing this, make sure you are at foundation level and not ground level.

If you go up a floor, you will see that our house now looks like the screenshot below. It looks a little strange right now, but we will fix that.

This is where we will be using the Terrain Tools to flatten out the flooring that has raised up to meet the garage. Go back down to foundation level and choose the Level Terrain tool. Starting with the tile beside each raised corner, click and drag the tool over to the tile that is raised. This will flatten the corners out so they are level with the flooring on the main section of the house.

Now we need to flatten out the garage on the second level. Go up one level and make sure you are still using the Level Terrain tool. Starting at the lower level, drag the tool diagonally to the other side of the upper level.

This looks much better!

Since we no longer need the constrainFloorElevation cheat, it is now time to turn it off. Open the cheat window by pressing Shift + Ctrl + C. Using the up arrow on your keyboard, the previous cheat that you entered will appear (unless you have exited the game). This should be constrainFloorElevation false. Delete false and type in true, then press Enter. At this point, I like to save my work. Go to Edit Town and choose Save As.

Go back to your lot. Now we need to add the door to the garage. Make sure you are at foundation level with the walls up. Go to Doors, scroll all the way down and select the Closure Garage Door. I have chosen the white one, but any color will do. I am planning on customizing it with the Create a Style tool later to fit with the color scheme of my house.

Now you can customize the garage by adding the wall coverings and flooring of your choice. Also remember to add a door, stairs and railings so your Sims can enter the garage. You will also need to add a parking space so they can use it for their car. These can be found in Buy Mode under Outdoors > Transportation.

Next, we need to add wall coverings to the outside of the house. As you can see, the angles of the garage wall next to the main part of the house are slanted, so horizontal siding will look odd and does not cover up this section of the wall.

The best choice to cover up the slanted wall is vertical paneling or flat wall paint. If you would rather use a different type of wall covering, you will need to hide it with some type of decor instead. You can also customize the look of the paneling to match the covering you have chosen for the main part of the house using the Create a Style tool.

Now that the garage is finished, you can go about customizing the rest of your house. Don’t forget to also remove the extra floor tiles we added when we first started building.

Congratulations on adding an attached garage to your Sim’s home!

psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Building an Attached Garage (TS3 Base Game)

Postby lindawing » February 12th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Great tutorial! :happy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Building an Attached Garage (TS3 Base Game)

Postby psychedelicsim » February 12th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Thank you, Linda! :flower:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS3 - Tutorials