Creating a Swimmable Pond (TS3 Base Game)

Tutorials for The Sims 3.

Creating a Swimmable Pond (TS3 Base Game)

Postby psychedelicsim » February 12th, 2014, 4:33 pm

The following tutorial will show you how to create a swimmable pond in The Sims 3. It will give your Sims a different type of place to swim that’s more in touch with nature and more fun than those boring pools!

Thanks to KrazyAngelKat81 for posting how to do this in the old Neighborly Sims forums!

This tutorial assumes you have a general knowledge of using Build Mode. Open your game and go to the neighborhood of your choice. Select an empty lot and click on the Build/Buy icon. For the purpose of this tutorial, I have chosen 17 Sweetwater Loop in Twinbrook, but any lot will do.

Select a section towards the back of the lot. This is important if you are planning on building a house later. We will now be creating the area where our pond will be placed. Go to Build Mode > Create Pool > Create Pool. Using the pool tool, I have created a 5 x 7 section of pool. It can be larger or smaller, depending on what size you want your pond to be. Making it too much smaller though than the dimensions I have here will not give your Sim much room to swim.

Next, we need to add the pond. To do this, we will be using the constrainFloorElevation false cheat. This will allow the edges of the pool to be even with the pond. Press Shift + Ctrl + C to bring up the cheat window. Type in constrainFloorElevation false, then press Enter. The cheat should now be activated. Click on the Back arrow and go to Ponds. Select the Water Tool. Using the Small Square Brush, create a pond around the outside of the pool that we placed earlier, leaving a small section for your Sim to use for getting into the pond. It will look a little strange around the edges of the pool, but we will fix that!

Now we need to make the color of the pool look more like the bottom and sides of a pond. The first thing we need to do is to turn off the cheat we just used. Open the cheat window and press the up arrow on your keyboard. The previous cheat we entered should appear. Replace the word false with true, then press Enter. Go to Floor & Ceilings > Miscellaneous. I have chosen the Tar and Gravel Textured Floor. Place it on the bottom of the pool, then go into Create a Style to change the flooring to the color of the pond water (Hex code 46618b). Now go to Wall Coverings > Paint. I have chosen the Flat Wall. Replace the current pool walls, then go into Create a Style to change the color to match the flooring.

The hard part is over! Now we need to disguise those edges with rocks, flowers and shrubs. To place objects on top of the water, you will need to use the moveobjects on cheat. When you are finished, turn off the cheat by typing in moveobjects off and pressing Enter.

It’s time to test our pond! Go into Edit Town mode to save the lot. Then, select a Sim and move them onto the lot. Send your Sim to the edge of the pond where you left room for them to get in. Click on the water and bring up the Swim interaction. They should now jump in and enjoy a swim in their brand new swimmable pond!

Tip: You might need to make your Sim swim to the edge of where they entered the pond to get them to actually climb out. Previous playtesting showed that the Sim would just stay in the pond and not attempt to get out if they were still in the middle of it when the Go Here interaction was given.

If you would like for your Sims to be able to fish, you can also add fish spawners to your pond. To do this, go into Buy Mode and bring up the cheat window. Type in testingcheatsenabled true and press Enter. Bring up the cheat window again and type in buydebug. That should bring up a Debug category. Scroll down until you get to the fish spawners and place some on your pond. I’ve put mine on top of the pool sections.

Note: Your Sim will only be able to fish along the edges where the sections of pool we placed are not present. This may vary depending on which version of the game you are using. This tutorial was created using The Sims 3 base game and all expansion packs and stuff packs up to Generations.

psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Creating a Swimmable Pond (TS3 Base Game)

Postby lindawing » February 16th, 2014, 4:06 am

Of course, our Sims in TS3 can now swim in WORLD ponds and oceans. I wonder why they didn't just make it happen in lots, too? Silly EA!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Creating a Swimmable Pond (TS3 Base Game)

Postby psychedelicsim » February 16th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Who knows! :lol:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS3 - Tutorials