DEVELOPMENT - Skypheria Beta

This SKY world has been based on Skytasia, but is built on a smaller map. This world is no yet completed. This is a public forum.

Moderator: Meadow9259

DEVELOPMENT - Skypheria Beta

Postby Meadow9259 » June 26th, 2014, 2:08 am

I just copied the lots over from Skytasia to Skypheria and have already found the first issue. I apparently made a mistake when I created the world layout and zoned the lot for Cloud's Slumber Cemetary as a 40x40 lot instead of a 50x50 one. I'm not anticipating it to be an easy fix, either, since it was difficult just to cram the 40x40 in that spot.

One of the old known issues is that the lights are out throughout most of the world. I was going to fix this, but have come to the realization that it's not really worth the trouble at this time. I'll throw some temporary lights up quickly or something so that the lots won't be completely dark, but these lots are base game v1.11 for most of them, and have either been finished or will be finished in that version of the game, which means the lights will only go out again upon being installed by any downloaders into a game that is the Pets version or past. A goodly number of community lots were already released that are now affected by this issue. When I ultimately create the full game save files for Skytasia and Skypheria I will probably do something about the lights in those saves. I already figured out that if the original lots are installed into a newer game version already within a world, and not through the library, the lights get fixed automatically by the game.

I have once again been struck by just how sloppy and chaotic my build version save of Skytasia is. It is extremely daunting, to say the least, even thinking about trying to make some semblance of order out of this massive chaos. I'm not quite sure what I'll include in the beta test file atm, but for anyone doing beta testing, please do not worry too much about testing individual lots thoroughly unless I list them as being finished/release candidates. I would still appreciate heads ups if errors are found and a lot seems more or less finished in the area.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: DEVELOPMENT - Skypheria Beta

Postby lindawing » June 26th, 2014, 3:00 am

OK...will do! (or won't do...I guess I should have said)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » June 26th, 2014, 4:16 am

Well, I WAS planning to post a list of lots that had already been tested and released, but the Exchange apparently does not feel like cooperating atm. It keeps insisting my password is invalid, when I know I'm entering the right one. The game did, too, about 1-2 hours ago, in a game data save where I apparently had the keep me logged in thing checked. Then I tried to just browse to my page as a guest to look at My Studio - only to get hit with a "You must be logged in to use this feature". :rolleyes:

EDIT: And I just remembered I have the list of released lots posted here. :uhhuh: Hah, take that EA! :yeah:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » June 26th, 2014, 4:20 am

The following lots had already been tested and released. There may still be some compatibility/upconverting issues with them, so please let me know if you spot anything. (Other than the already known issue with the broken lights.)

Community Lots:

Cherilon Glade
Cinnanon Glade
Freshena Gardens
Saris Gardens East
Saris Gardens West
Tiapa Gardens North
Tiapa Gardens South

Residential Lots:

Celestial Magic Unicorn Farm
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » June 26th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Just noticed a problem with the paint in the Celestial Magic Unicorn Farm. I had managed to use two different kinds of paint textures in the world lots in the beginning. I also noticed one of them is unbearably shiny and distorts the colors nonstop on my laptop LCD screen. I was thus intending to switch out all paint throughout the world to the other texture.

But it appears that the unicorn farm uses the shinier texture that I absolutely can not stand on my laptop screen. On my desktop CRT monitor, it does not appear shiny at all - which is most likely how I ended up using the precise texture I did not want to.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » June 26th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Cloud's Slumber Cemetary is nearly at release candidate status, except for recoloring the inside window/door trims. Oh, and it would be nice if the trees would stop sinking. Gotta love EA's new "features".
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » June 26th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Unfortunately, the trees do still tend to sink. There's nothing we can do about that. There are fewer problems if no moveobjects is used, and if the trees aren't rotated, but geez!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » June 26th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Aye. *sigh* And what's worse is that they didn't used to sink. Base game is perfectly stable. I'm thinking it wasn't until Ambitions that they started the sinking nonsense?

The community pool, diner, city hall, and cemetary, so far, seem to be the worst areas for sinking trees. And of course, they've been perfectly stable for years for me, because I've only been playing base game.

As for rotated trees sinking more, I pretty much place all mine straight. But the game has this wonderful auto-rotate feature and all... *sigh* The straighter you try to get them, the more it rotates.

Plus all the lights getting broken throughout worlds when they did that suddenly... how silly is that, too? *sigh* Just replacing all the lights on these lots is going to take forever. I think it took me like an hour or more just to replace the lights on the cemetary, because it has a lot of them.

I also rediscovered the vanishing base game city hall rabbit hole building this morning. Was checking for (yet again) sunk trees on the city hall lot and saw the rabbit hole was gone, and suddenly remembered I had noticed that issue awhile back, with all city hall buildings that had been placed on lots and packaged to file prior to a certain point, then installed from those files later. I remember my Twin Rivers hall had been affected, too.

Anyway, I'd probably better stop now, because there are so many problems that EA has created over the years. :uhhuh:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » June 27th, 2014, 2:18 am

Finished/Release Candidates:

Cherry Cloud Swim Club- - 6/29/14
Cloud's Slumber Cemetary - 6/26/14
Defenders of Honor Base - 7/6/14
Floral Enchantments Spa - 7/5/14
(Perflera Park* - 7/7/14)
Sky Grace Hospital - 7/3/14
Skyview Avenue Park North - 6/26/14
Skyview Avenue Park South - 7/3/14
(Skypheria Transport Station* - 6/24/14)
Skytasia City Hall - 6/27/14
Skyview Academy - 6/28/14
Skytasia Community Library- - 6/28/14
Skytasia Fire Department - 7/8/14
Skytasia Fitness Center - 7/4/14
Skytasia Theatre - 7/4/14
Storm's End Groceries - 7/2/14
The Arena of Champions- - 6/30/14
The Country Flower Diner - 7/3/14
The Elegant Rose Bistro - 7/5/14
Tranquil Journeys Bookstore - 7/4/14
Wisden Scientific Center - 7/4/14
Wisden Square Park Central - 7/1/14
Wisden Square Park East - 6/30/14
Wisden Square Park West - 6/30/14
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » June 27th, 2014, 2:34 am

Working on the city hall now. Lights have been fixed. Have I mentioned I used WAY too many lights in this world? :rolleyes:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » June 27th, 2014, 2:51 am

You can use a different City Hall in that basement, I think. It's only the one that disappears, if I remember correctly. :uhhuh:

Also, I think it only disappears when it's placed, and the player can add it back in, and it's fine. You'd just have to make a note.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » June 27th, 2014, 11:20 am

I was thinking it only disappeared if it was placed and packaged after base game/one of the EPs and before another EP. Have you seen it disappear if it was placed later on?

That's the base game city hall, though, and the only one available then, so that's the only one I want to use, for compatibility reasons. There's Riverview, as well, but that one requires Store content, albeit free content. I don't want to require anything extra for the core lots of Skytasia.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the lot for the cemetary. I've just confirmed that there's not enough space in that spot to expand the lot. I could probably expand the sides if I move spawners and such, since it'd be 5 squares in each direcetion, but it'd have to expand 10 to the back, which would place it up nearly against the hills, and on sloped ground. I don't think that I can pull the road forward 5-10 squares in that spot, either. It was all I could do to get a corner on that road as it was. And Skypheria is very tight, so it's not easy to move or adjust things.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » June 27th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Well, I HAD just finished replacing all the lights in the school and had moved on to checking the window textures, when the game suddenly froze up on me. I had done stuff on several other lots as well, and had only saved to library for awhile. So who knows how much work I just lost - but definitely all the work I just did on the school. *sigh*

I'm thinking I'd also better delete all the cache files. It crashed in the middle of checking/recoloring textures/patterns, so there's a good chance it just corrupted them.

Oh, and I have to be more forceful with the terminate program thing apparently, because it still hasn't closed, even after I told Windows to terminate it.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » June 27th, 2014, 5:37 pm

That's where I've had my biggest problems with game freezes, too...using the design tool. I need to clear my caches, as well. :uhhuh: Same with the program termination through the task manager. Most times it closes right away. Other times the program window is still ghosted, and I have to do it a second time. EA...sigh...
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » June 28th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Group 1: Finished/Release Candidates

Skytasia City Hall
Freshena Gardens
Skyview Avenue Park North
Skyview Academy
Skytasia Community Library
Tiapa Gardens North