Development

Skytasia is the home of the Sky People, who live far above the clouds. They have an ancient culture, and have a deep love of knowledge and learning - especially about the world of the Landwalkers beneath them. This is a public forum.

Moderator: Meadow9259

Re: Development

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:40 pm

The cemetery is done! :joy:

(The pictures don't do it justice. :uhhuh: )
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Sky Grace Hospital:

Police Station:

Office Building:

Theatre (Done):

Cherry Cloud Swim Club:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:42 pm

I can't imagine this can be very good. :ohno: I do hope it's not a portent of things to come...

Of course, I could always rename the lot the Sinking Tree Swim Club and say it's "functioning as intended" like EA seems to do...
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Inspired by the swim club, Cherry Mist Keep:

I specifically went around Ancena Oldlands looking for the lot with the best views of the cherry trees for this one. ;-)
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:46 pm

The Bistro (Done):

1) EA has way, way, way too many rabbit hole and community lots that they force us to build. :ohno:

2) EA's Rabbit Hole buildings are way, way, way too huge, and require insanely huge lots, even if you just wanted to make something small! :rolleyes:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Stadium:

The stadium looks weird without windows, but if there were windows looking in the Sims would just stand outside to watch the games and not buy tickets. Can't have that. :-(

Five more from the ground up rabbit holes and community lots, and finishing up several of the rabbit holes I already built shells for, and I can send you the alpha, Linda. ;-) Some will need to stay shells because there's just not objects for them. I think you should be able to use the same world until the beta is ready and I can just send you lots to add as I finish them. Assuming there's not any major problems, but I'm thinking there isn't since EiG hasn't been throwing fits.

The pictures really don't do Skytasia justice. You have to see it in person. (Which is why I keep getting distracted by the scenery lol.)
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:50 pm

/rant on

I've just about had it with this game. Right now I am VERY sorely tempted to throw the whole stupid piece of garbage straight out the window. Where it belongs!

I have been reminded, time and again this past week or two, why I hate building in this game. Right this minute, I'd have to say I outright detest it. Twin Rivers wasn't so bad as Skytasia is being - but it was all landscaping and one house. And a very small handful of community buildings.

I just had a nasty fight with the police station. God forbid, but I wanted to place the end of the stairs down against a wall, and it was forcefully insisting on one tile away, like it's been doing lately. Which has been leaving this one floor tile past the stair holes everywhere that's been driving me bananas. I can't even click it away to make a bigger hole because then it just shows the ground. It was only now that I realized that I've made several lots with the stairs flush against walls that have worked just fine. So I fought with it. It said a wall was in the way. So fine, I deleted the wall. Kept insisting. Fine, I deleted the whole wall. Then the roof and the entire second story. Then all the walls on the first floor. Well, what do you know? There's still a wall in the way! What wall exactly, pray tell? Not only that, it suddenly allowed one half of the stairway to place, after a lot of very increasingly frustrated clicks.

Then on the first story going down - can't place stairs because the terrain is too high. And from the basement level - can't place stairs because the so-called non-existent wall is the way. At the same time.

Skytasia is completely 100% perfectly flat and level, with the exception of one or two lots at the bases of hills/mountains that I missed placing all the way far enough away to be flat, because it slopes the land a mile away from the bases and I hadn't realized. I started with the base flat empty world map.

Finally, I got so aggravated that I bulldozed the lot and rebuilt it from scratch. This time, I put the basement in the very first thing, followed by the stairs. This time, it had no complaints. Until I went to try to place the rabbit hole. Then it threw major fits that it "had to be placed on the floor or on terrain". I could only stare at the floor I was trying to place it on. Since when does a floor not qualify as a floor? Turning moveobjects on finally made the stupid thing go down.

And this isn't the only rabbit hole it's been giving me grief with. Or the only stairs. Far from it. The Bistro, for one, had an entire 28x28 basement all to it's lonesome, with a single flight of stairs close to one end. And no matter where I rotated it or how far away it was from the stairs when I went to shift it a bit, it kept insisting that I could not place it back down because it "collided with the modular stairs".

The police station wasn't too bad to rebuild. It's a very simple lot. But some of the others that are uncompleted are far from simple. I can't just doze the whole world and start every one over just because the game likes to be ornery.

I did some decorating in Cherry Mist Keep the other day, and it was giving me all sorts of grief as well. Including that the staircase walls refuse to properly align with the regular walls. They're offset by a smidge, leaving very unsightly ridges in the walls and wallpaper. Never mind that I have never seen that happen before. Then again, I've done very minimal building in this game, as I said before.

Added to all of that, there's these ridiculous roofs, which can't seem to figure out wall levels - or even decide where to go consistently. And don't understand the concept that random holes all over the place are unsightly.

At this point, I would be extremely surprised if any of these lots I've been wasting my time making works at all.

/rant off
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Well, it's official - the swim club has sinkhole issues. I just found another tree underground - this one completely so. And not only is it underground, it didn't just sink, it duplicated itself and sunk the duplicate. And unlike Linda, I did see partially sunk trees before, on Wendy's lovely farmhouse lot that the game forcefully insisted on destroying.

I've seen what's happened with the rest of you and trying to recover sinkholes, both lotwise and worldwise. I know it looks impossible to fix this sort of thing from your experiences. And I have no idea WHY this lot is sinking. No Ambitions code whatsoever and nothing in that corner Linda warned me about whatsoever. All I can think is it must have something to do with the basements - I've never used basements before.

This game is the one of the most ridiculously buggy, glitchy, aggravating, poorly coded pieces of junk I have ever seen.

Sorry... extremely frustrated right now, and worried Skytasia is going to have to be scrapped. :sob:

ADDENDUM: Lost another tree to the sinkhole, right before my eyes, as I re-entered and exited the lot. Only the one was there when I entered - as I exited, bam a second popped up.

ADDENDUM 2: And another two re-renters and re-exits, and suddenly both trees underground are gone. What the heck is this game smoking, anyway? Did we just never notice before that the game randomly replicates trees underground or something?
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Oh, Meadow! I'm so sorry!

I'm thinking that maybe that "trigger" or "anchor" thing may be in a slightly different place in the large worlds, and that maybe you've HIT it, which caused all these problems to start happening. Oh, geez! What a pain!!!

I've had all the problems with the stairs things at one time or another. In fact, we had the game installed on Jonny's computer some months back, and the first thing he did was run into some of those things, and he quit, and never went back in, which is a shame, because he always used to play, and he's a GREAT builder!

One thing that I thought of, when you were talking about the size of the above-ground buildings. I know you have to have bigger LOTS, but you don't have to build the above-ground buildings as large as their underground proponents.

You can actually make the larger lots into some sort of COMBO lots. For instance, where you put the SCHOOL underground, you could put a school and a park, and maybe a library, and add a gym, or something like that. As long as the underground RH is there, you won't have to flag the lot for anything specific, because RHs can go on ANY community type lot and still be used correctly.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:54 pm

I just remembered yesterday that Kim had underground trees in an old cemetery lot, as well:

(I can't quite tell from the pictures if they're the trees from the lot or trees from the world, though.)

Maybe this is just a wacked glitch or something, not related to sinking? Maybe it just sporadically shows above ground trees underground? Maybe they're part of the mysterious objects that appear in the global world layers when EiG is run? I can hope... :uhhuh: Maybe EA even added that "world anchor" in an attempt to keep this from happening, and created a bigger mess in the process...

Linda - I've been thinking I may send you the world file earlier than I had intended, if you're willing to test these lots for me. I'd have to say I'm feeling way too frustrated with the game right now to do it myself. :uhhuh: Mostly I hesitate because I know you have limited bandwidth and issues because of it. :uhhuh: I know you're also experienced with the sinking issues, so you can probably tell better than I can if it's really an issue or if this is some other sort of glitch going on and I'm just feeling excessively skittish because of how many problems you and others have had with sinking.

I can definitely identify with Jonny quitting over all the issues this game has. :uhhuh: I'm just so addicted I keep coming back for more headaches!

I hadn't thought about making combo lots. They were never in the original plans for Skytasia, so they wouldn't really fit in very well here, but for smaller worlds for sure that would probably help a ton with the space issues. ;-)

And thanks everyone on the comments on the stadium. I was rather pleased with the way it turned out, even though the windowless exterior keeps making me stare - which is why those stone columns got added, to try to break up the monotony a bit hehe.

(Feeling slightly better because I avoided the game all day.)
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Have a few more pictures for you all tonight. At the point where there's not as many things to show.

The spa is complete - inside and outside. I ended up just throwing things in that seemed to go with a "pampering and relaxation" theme. The building turned out so cozy and homey looking that I "borrowed" the architecture and used it to build Mulara and Bulan's home, with a few small outside differences, starting with a mirror image of the building floorplan. The inside of their home will be unique to them, most likely. I gave them a corner/end lot in Saris Square, the small home subdivision in Bivaria Gardens. Bulan will be no doubt be very pleased to see that his new home has a pleasant view of the stadium - he'll also no doubt be not quite as pleased once the homes go up on the lots between his and the stadium and mess up that nice clear view. Mulara, of course, will have the Saris Square Gardens right out her front door, so she shall be happy with me, regardless. WINK I gave them a small deck out back. The spa has been named the Floral Enchantments Spa.

The salon exterior is near complete - assuming an experimentation I want to make with tweaking the architecture works out. It doesn't look quite right atm.

The grocery store exterior is also complete. Right now it's tentatively named Storm's End Groceries.

Unless I miscounted, 28 lots have now been shelled out or completely finished. :joy:

I need to rest my eyes now, but I'll be back a bit later with the pictures.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Spa:

Grocery Store:

Akin Residence, 8 Saris Square:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Salon: (Not sure I'm happy with this yet.)

Sunny Breeze Laundromat:

Consignment Store: (Was surprised to see I had zoned such a large lot for this - thought I had placed a smaller one!)

lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Rainbow Books:

Skytasia Community Library:

Gym:

Skytasia Museum of Ages Past:

West Wisden Square Park: (East Wisden Square Park is a mirror image of this one.)

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Linda - The upload is in progress... just as soon as it's done, I'll PM you the link. ;-) It's about 44 MB atm, so it'll take a bit.

It's a mishmash of in progress, so expect a bit of a mess. I did a little bit of tidying up, but I already see I messed up a few street names/numbers the other day when I was throwing them in. :uhhuh:

I ultimately decided to include the still in-progress lots, as well, because they don't take up that much extra space file size-wise, and they'll give you the complete effect. I'd love to hear what you think of it after seeing it in person. I love it, but I'm rather biased and all that... :uhhuh:

If you find any problems, or have any suggestions or constructive criticism, etc, please let me know. The main structure of the world is complete, about 80% of the spawners are in, and I put in some birds. So I'd say go for general testing of the world and the biggest part that needs testing atm is probably the rabbit holes. The Ambitions lots are only shells atm.

Oh, I finished up Mulara and Bulan's home for you, so you have somewhere for your test Sims to live. It's in the 30x30 section in Bivaria Gardens, the only house up there atm. They're on my Sim Page if you don't have them yet, the link is in the Sims section here. Jaren's house is also finished, but he's not quite ready to be uploaded yet.

Bulan is in the Law Enforcement career, and Mulara will be working at the Country Flower Diner.

Enjoy! :friends:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

PreviousNext

Return to Skytasia