Development

Skytasia is the home of the Sky People, who live far above the clouds. They have an ancient culture, and have a deep love of knowledge and learning - especially about the world of the Landwalkers beneath them. This is a public forum.

Moderator: Meadow9259

Re: Development

Postby lindawing » March 3rd, 2014, 10:10 pm

I make my OWN backup just before going into EiG, also, Meadow (I actually do that EVERY time I save my world in CaW--naming my backups with the date and time of day, so that I can choose EXACTLY where I was before I went into EiG). I also don't trust either way of working in CaW...in itself or in the game setting. :uhuh:

With the save document that comes up (and disappears at the bottom, with no scrolling tool), the errors are always shown at the top, though what GOOD that does, I'm not sure, unless you have a program that will tell you which file is which! Duh! Still...if it saves everything except ONE file, then I take a chance. Only once have I had a freeze where I had to actually go back in and OPEN the world once again, and that time I did find a couple of things missing, and I immediately cleaned out the global layer, and then all was fine.

Usually, though, EiG lets me exit back to CaW without a problem. Then, unfailingly, I've been able to make a good save from there. Not once have I actually found anything missing, so--in my own experience, at least--it would seem that the things that can't be saved in EiG are PROBABLY some sort of corrupted coordinate file that was going to land in the global layer, anyway.

If all of the above doesn't work, then I have my backup file to go to, for which I'm very thankful!!! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Now if someone could just remind me of just exactly what it was I was planning to do... :doh: :yeah:

Desara Minel, Beautician/Flirt

Jalen Cahren, Newspaper Reporter/Computer Geek

Malo Talren, Mayor/Town Father

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:02 pm

I've grown rather fond of the Mayor. He's single but rather of a romantic, so he's going to be trying to match up all the youngsters in town. And I've started thinking that perhaps I'll make a nice elderly lady for them to turn the tables on him! ;-) He'll be living in the keep that the town turned into a mayor's residence in Ancena Oldlands. Figure one of the keeps would make a good place for entertaining and the like, which will be right in with his job description and matchmaking tendencies. ;-) He also has a few sweet teeth, and loves baked goods, so I made him a bit on the pudgy side, for a Sky Person, to reflect this. I figure everyone in town will be showering him with goodies constantly since he's a sweetheart.

BTW, have I mentioned how much me and curved roads do not get along? :ohno:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:03 pm

frame for another 40x40 Bivaria Gardens home last night, and I have another Bivaria Gardens starter that I had made before, but hadn't shown because I was heavily leaning towards bulldozing it.

Now on to my notes so you all can remind me what I was doing the next time I forget... :yeah:

I'm now thinking to divide the spawners by region, too. They won't be exclusively limited to the given regions, but will likely lean more heavily towards them. Also, I will likely place the rares of each group in these given regions. I'm thinking rocks, gems, and beetles for the Ancena Oldlands region, seeds and butterflies for the Bivaria Gardens region, and fish for the Lakona Streamlands region.

The Ancena Oldlands region is pretty sparsely populated. I ultimately decided to only place larger home lots here: 60x60, 50x50, and 40x40 lots. There would have needed to be homes for peasants back in the old days, as well, but I figure that can be gotten around. They could have lived in servants quarters in the keeps or on the keep grounds, which are now gone because they've been renovated and modernized. Their homes could simply have decayed over time from being poorly constructed. Or they could have had to trek over the hills or down the river to get to their jobs within the keeps. As for the homes/keeps in this region, I only placed 16 lots. I also have one lot zoned for a fishing hole atm, and hoping to squeeze another one in along the road segment I still need to make. Also, the cemetery is located in this region. The entire region is pretty hilly and rocky (well, as hilly and rocky as one can make something one is insisting all lots have to be flat for lol) and is planned to also be pretty heavily forested.

It looks like Skytasia is coming in at about 120 lots. Not too bad. Expected it to be far worse on the lot count!
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Linda, I decided last night that I'll probably send you along the alpha version, once it's ready. It'll probably be the world pre-Ambitions conversion, minus the camera and Sim unroutable paints, and minus the smaller details and tweaking. I do think I should get at least the majority of the public lots built for it, though, minus the Ambitions specific ones. I probably won't have all the garden lots completed, either, since Bivaria Gardens has quite a few of them. I know the rabbit holes are going to need a good bit of testing since I'm trying to play magical disappearing tricks with them. :uhhuh: There should be at least a home or two completed by then, as well, I think.

On the bright side, it seems like my inspiration is finally moving again. :joy: Although all this place road, delete road, place road, delete road, place road, delete road is starting to really get to me. :rolleyes: I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to connect/continue road segments short of intersection pieces? I've been thinking it's not doable, but starting to wish really, really hard that I've just been missing something all this time. Having to start completely over non-stop because I miscalculated segment requirements or whatnot is extremely frustration building.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Grozit... CaW just crashed with a memory read exception error during a save. And just after I'd finally gotten the roads to behave and the rest of Ancena Oldlands' layout just right, too! :sob:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:07 pm

The northern section of Ancena Oldlands, so far:

Current world overview:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Wow, I've just looked back at some of my older screenshots... I've really made some progress! ;-)
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:08 pm

Some more treeing, and finally redid the Town Center trees that I've been needing to redo. Knew taking the old trees down was half the battle. ;-) Then the empty spot glared at me for the past two days until I went in and fixed it lol. Nearly all of the main area of the map is treed now, minus touch ups/tweaking. All that's left needing trees there is the site of the ancient tribal village. Assuming I can manage to pull off the caves. (Otherwise I'll probably put in a heavily forested area and another fishing pond. Or maybe I can build a keep there for a recluse.) Getting things proper sizes and such in CaW is something I'm still struggling with. They're probably going to end up either way too massive or way too tiny lol. The trees look like ants in CaW, but in game they're the proper sizes relative to the Sims. I should probably tree the hills as well... which ended up pretty much the same size as the Skyrit Mountains. And I need to experiment some more with the snowcaps. Let's see... need spawners en masse (just meaning all of them) and some more things like birds. I still wish the rainbows would show up for me so I could place them properly. :uhhuh:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 7:09 pm

It's looking utterly FANTASTIC, Meadow! I would love to see an early version of it, for sure!!!

As for the road-connections. There is no way to connect CROSSED roads without the intersections. However, you CAN connect pieces of roads that don't have a cross in them. If you lay down several pieces, you can more easily make the angles you want. Then connect them just like you'd connect them to the intersections. It makes getting around tight corners and up and down hills much easier. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Thanks, Linda. :foryou:

I tried that Linda, and it wasn't having anything doing with it. :uhhuh: Placed a road piece next to an already placed piece, and it showed dark blue not connected square. Double clicked and same. Dragged and same. I'll try again.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:12 pm

I just poked my head into the most recent version in EiG, and all I can say is... wow!

I can see that this is going to be really beautiful once I get some lots in! :joy:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Pictures don't do things justice, :uhhuh: but here are a few:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby In Memory of Wendy » March 4th, 2014, 7:14 pm

The landscaping looks fab Meadow.... only my thoughts .... just wondering if the mountains would look better without so many trees or even if they were in small groups.... only my thoughts hope you don't mind Meadow.
In Memory of Wendy
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Ath3las_ » March 4th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Meadow I have just looked through the whole thread and all I can say is

WOW

What an amazing work of art you have created. The landscape is stunning the homes are magnificent and the people unique. You must be having fun while you are creating because it is certainly showing in what you are doing. :-)
Ath3las_
Infant
Infant

PreviousNext

Return to Skytasia