Development

Skytasia is the home of the Sky People, who live far above the clouds. They have an ancient culture, and have a deep love of knowledge and learning - especially about the world of the Landwalkers beneath them. This is a public forum.

Moderator: Meadow9259

Re: Development

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing those ideas take shape, Linda. ;-)

The world itself is nearly done... I've been working on all the various little finishing touches. There's still a bit more to do, but they're getting there.

Of course, the lots and Sims and testing and pictures are another story... :rolleyes:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:19 pm

This is Prinia Linari. She's the one all the young whippersnappers in town are going to try to set the Mayor up with. ;-)

She's Good, Frugal, a Natural Cook, a Virtuoso, and has a Green Thumb. She's a widow whose only son died a while back, so she's been alone since then.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:20 pm

The jaggies are now gone from the bases of my hills and mountains. ;-) Linda will have seen those up close and personal, they were making me gag. *shudder* Thankfully, the technique I finally came up with to make the snow caps look semi-decent did also work for blending in the hill bases. I've also put all the street numbers in, and double-checked all the lot types (again).

I have three homes completed so far and a fourth nearly so. One of them is Jaren's, one is Mulara and Bulan's, one is Prinia's, and one is the Ketim family's. (The Ketims are the ones with the two "over identical" sets of twins.) I also have seven families done.

Two more starters:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:22 pm

I have just found what appears, at this time, to be a corrupt lot. :ohno: I've spent the past two hours or so ineffectually fighting with one of the starters in Bivaria Gardens. Over and over and over again. Bulldoze and replace, bulldoze and replace, bulldoze and rebuild from scratch... over and over and over again. The game keeps screaming, going on and on and on about the "base is uneven" whenever I try to do anything whatsoever with the roof. The most it lets me put on, at all, is teeny tiny roof segments, which cut off all over the place, without any rhyme or reason whatsoever. I thought it was just because I was trying to do a building shape that was "too complicated" for its liking or something, so I kept fighting. And fighting. Then I was so exasperated with it I ended up with a plain rectangle, 12x8 like all the other starter footprints, and then I threw a basic roof on it. Or tried to. It proceeded to scream its head off about the base being "uneven" again, and do the exact same nonsense as before. No matter how many times I tried bulldozing and rebuilding from scratch. Meanwhile, the way its placing the roofs looks extremely odd, like its cutting off way too much wall.

Actually, now I'm wondering how this lot relates with the bounding box boundaries - if maybe it's sitting smack in between four of them or something. Maybe something like that would do it. The land itself could not possibly be flatter or more even.

Linda, I don't think its going to be any blasted different in your game, but if you still have the alpha, would you please try to place a basic rectangle on this lot - I think it's labeled 1 Tiapa Square in your game - and try to place a basic gable roof on it? This is the lot on the upper left of the group of starters in Bivaria Gardens. 30x20 lots. The footprint should be 12 wide by 8 deep, 9 in from each side, 5 in from the front, 7 in from the rear.

But right now it seems like I'm screwed. Long, short, and end of it. I can't see any reason whatsoever for the game to be forcefully insisting that my even walls are uneven. Or why its persisting past bulldozing the lot.

EDIT: I just checked the bounding boxes, and although these things are extremely difficult to decipher at this point in world development because it makes a major mess of them instead of leaving just the 256x256 chunks, it looks like there is only one bounding box boundary cutting through this lot. And there is an identical boundary cutting through the lot across the street - one I had no problems whatsoever building on.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Well, the good news: I just did a test with a copy of the current master world file, and the lot seems to be behaving in it, so it looks like the corruption may be limited to my current build copy.

The bad news: The waterfall, still happily animating away in CaW, has mysteriously vanished from EiG with the same copy of the master world file. Always something with this game, isn't it? :ohno: With that gone, I have to wonder if my other effects are still working, either.

EDIT:
Checked the other spawners, tried deleting a few and placing two new ones... no go. The effects spawners have gone completely dead, all of them, worldwide. In my blasted master world file, so I've just lost I don't know how many hours and weeks of work. It looks like I have no choice but to roll back until I find a copy that's still working. And I have been doing tons of very tedious, very boring, extremely detailed work towards finishing this world, and it is not in the least easily redone. At all.

If I can't find some way to get these blimey things to start working again, Skytasia is going right back on hold, indefinitely. I do not feel in the slightest like redoing all this hard work right now. If ever.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 9:27 pm

In the ensuing conversation, we realized that EA had changed EiG so that the animations do NOT show there...unless you click the PLAY button, which you normally wouldn't do, because no Sims are there.

This makes 16 out of 80 home shells, with 3 complete or near complete.

Haven't actually tested anything, one way or the other. Feeling too skittish and wary of CaW. But I do think the problem was about 99.9% likely my overactive imagination... :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Two more I made this morning:

Bivaria Gardens is really starting to fill in! ;-)
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:29 pm

48 lots in various states of completion now, out of 121/122! :joy:

Oh, I also did Cinnanon/Cherilon Glade (can't remember which one this specific lot is atm) but didn't snag a picture. It's one of those lots that's not easy to photograph. Spent several hours trying to make a swimable pond, though, to no avail, so that's most likely a big, fat bust. =
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:31 pm

I didn't realize when I was making them that the two starters were quite that similar. I'm thinking now to do a mirror image of the little purple one, just to make it a little more different from the peach one.

These four homes finish off both Saris Square and Tiapa Square as far as shells :joy: - I still need to furnish 7 of the 8 homes in both subdivisions.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Is it pretty much always going to do the land edge distortion (right rear) if the land isn't perfectly flat? I didn't spot this in CaW before I exported, I thought I had found a spot where it didn't do that. *sigh*

The world is filling up :joy:

Cinnanon Glade has a lovely backdrop of the Skyrit Mountains ;-)

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 9:33 pm

There's always going to be at least one place that gets that bad adjustment, Meadow. Don't stress over it. It isn't gonna hurt anything. Put some plants right at the edge of the lot or something. ;-)

Everything is looking gorgeous! I love how the water looks on top of the clouds! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Thanks Carrie, Linda. :foryou:

Thanks, Linda... I've never built on anything but perfectly flat lots, so had no idea if that was going to cause problems or not. I've heard people talking about land tears when placing lots that had to be fixed - I wasn't sure if this was considered that. I will say it's a lot more minor the two squares I shifted the lot down than it was the two squares up I originally placed the lot. It's pretty slim in this spot... easy enough to hide, I think. What's rather annoying is that the land bridge I pulled across looked fine... and looked fine... and looked fine... and then when I saved, wallah in jump these HUGE gaping holes in the water, especially on the near bank (the one on the City Hall side)! Oh, and my test Sim was insisting on crossing the bridge on the side banks, half sunk into the clouds, instead of across the top. :doh: Guess I need to paint unroutable on them!

The whole section up there is giving me grief, really. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I was trying to do what EA did in Sunset Valley and have the waterfall pouring into a lake on the lot. Instead I ended up with granite paint under the water when I tweaked the painting, and the nearest I can place the lot a mile away. I noticed when my test Sim went up there that he was waist deep in water in the splash from the waterfall. Actually, that gave me ideas for future worlds hehe.

Oh, the world edges are blatantly accessible, and they're blatantly viewable in Edit Town mode, but if you don't pull the camera up into the hills, and stay at ground level, it looks like you can't see them. So I suppose it's half working! Can't pull the unroutable painting in any farther... I had it in farther, originally, to the edge of the hills and such, but when I went into the game like that, the camera was jerking and getting stuck all over the place. At that point I looked for the smallest distance that I could place the paint all around, evenly, and pulled it back to there. Which was one bounding box width. It's weird how the camera seems to blatantly traipse across most of the camera non-routable paint... I have no clue how EA programmed it. I'm sure pulling it on top of actual lots would create massive issues, though. For one thing, it auto-Sim un-routables under it.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Neb commented...

If you create a lot, then move it, you can use the conform edges tool (Looks like a house with a dotted line around the lot) by clicking the tool, then clicking the lot in question. It's saved me a few times. If it created that way, then CaW is just being dumb. As far as the camera, it works differently in play mode than it does in EiG. With EiG you can work the full landscape, which allows you to use world editor within the game itself. To test the camera routing you'll want to do a mock export of your world. You can uninstall it and delete it from your game files afterward... and it makes a HUGE difference with the camera routing.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 4th, 2014, 9:36 pm

I was thinking I didn't have that - never saw it - but I just looked closely, and there it was lol. Right next to Flatten Lot which I have noticed before. Probably never noticed it because I always build on completely flat land. Skytasia has one minor very slightly non-flat and it has the mess up by the waterfall. Thanks.

I learned about the camera working differently in EiG recently, from the official forums, so I was aware of that one. (It had me confused to heck before, though.) This is in the actual game that the world edges are still showing. I just did an export to continue my building in game, instead of continuing on in EiG. I have a few lots that will need the real game for creating. Also, I just finished the master world file and I'm looking for things that need to be tweaked or fixed. So far, the whole Watena Glade area is a mess, and I need to add a few more trees around Cherilon Glade, to the rear. Also planning to check spawner balance and the like.

I do find it a major pain to have to constantly uninstall, delete, and reinstall worlds for testing, so I do it as little as possible. It was much easier in TS2, since we could just put in multiple copies of the neighborhood map, and then do a big cleanup once we got a good one. I really, really, really hate all the anti-duplication code in TS3.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 4th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Neb commented...

It is indeed a pain. Working on the lake/waterfall thing myself I've discovered something. If the lake is going on a higher level, like a mountain, it needs to go on a lot, and the lake has to be at the LOWEST point on the lot... so if it's on the side of a mountain cliff, make sure the edges of the lot don't dip down below the level where the lake will be placed... it bases water level on the lowest point of the whole lot, not just where you place a lake.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Skytasia