Development

Skytasia is the home of the Sky People, who live far above the clouds. They have an ancient culture, and have a deep love of knowledge and learning - especially about the world of the Landwalkers beneath them. This is a public forum.

Moderator: Meadow9259

Development

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:06 pm

[important]Note from Linda...This topic has been copied from NS3, and has been edited--not every post has been copied here, but I'm trying to keep the main idea flowing, without having to deal with over 20 pages of conversation.)

As usual, some stuff was running through my head when I was supposed to be sleeping... :rotfl:

For those who may not have seen me start going off in Susan's fantasy world thread, this thread is for that sky/cloud based fantasy world I've had niggling in the back of my mind since CaW came out.

"Skytasia" is the name I came up with for my Elementos island (a TS2 challenge on Sterling Sims 2 that I didn't see until it was way over, but I always thought it sounded like a lot of fun). The Isle of Skytasia was intended to be based on the element air and the season winter, and use my cloud terrain paints as the base for all the lots.

One thing that held me back was the lack of the ability to create winged Sims in TS3, which seemed like the only natural inhabitants of a sky world. I have no idea if anyone has made any yet, now that the community has figured some stuff out.

Then, recently, I started thinking, "Who says they have to have wings to be able to live in the sky?" It IS fantasy, after all. ;-) So then came the light blue skinned "Sky Person" idea, which is within TS3's game mechanics.

This is Mulara Akin. She's my first conceptual Sky Person.

I don't know if I'll do this project... it depends on game mechanics and limitations and stuff. One thing I know for sure, the default rabbit hole buildings totally will not do. I would have to use the rugs. The problem with that, of course, is that I don't want any CC in my game because of the high risk of blowing something up. *sigh*

There's also the limitations on house levels in TS3 that makes it very difficult to make a proper castle-type lot, and the way that constrainfloorelevation works in TS3 that seems much more inclined to drive me mad instead of properly raising roofs. :wow: And the lack of transparent floor/roof tiles, which I always did like to use in my sky fantasy lots. But I can technically design around that...
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: Development

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:08 pm

This is Mulara's older brother, Bulan.

Thanks, everyone. This idea seems to have taken on a mind of it's own lately, and it's demanding to be heard! That last picture in Susan's world thread seemed to set off all sorts of inspiration, for some reason...

Bryan - I haven't heard of that one, I'll have to look it up.

Linda - Will they all fit underground? That office building is rather tall. :uhhuh:

Note from Linda--I had mentioned that the RHs could be put underground. We later found out that the tall ones can go there OK, but that the City Hall from Riverview doesn't work correctly underground. It disappears.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:11 pm

Lots of good ideas there, everyone, thanks! WINK

Actually, now that you've mentioned it, there IS a teleporter in the aspiration reward thingies, isn't there? The things I manage to forget! lol I haven't seen a transporter in BuyDebug, but I assume that's a WA tomb thing you're referring to.

You know, with how excited Ambitions has made me I think I'm just going to have to give in and convert one of these computers past base game (now that the patches install for me)... surely with three of them, one is sufficient to finish up Twin Rivers! (And I really, really, really, should not even be THINKING about installing an expansion right when it comes out - I know better! UH HUH )

I just saw all the screenies from Twinbrook... it looks like we've got a few redesigned rabbit holes. Perhaps some of those will be easier buried. Although with what Kaldresh has said, it pulled up another potential idea as well... I could always make the world part sky and part land. And the rabbit holes can go on the land area. Or I may just have to make TWO sky worlds! One full sky like I was thinking, and one part.

Linda - Would I be able to take my TS2 terrain paints and convert/import them to TS3? No idea what the size requirements are for TS3. I think the TS2 terrain paints were 256x256. I may possibly have a larger version of it, as well, or I can tile... hmm... I'd need the cloud paint, the sky paint I used for "roads", and possibly some simple gray rock for the mountain tops.

I've got a potential idea on how to make the houses, that won't require going insane trying to use the constrainfloor cheat or transparent tiles. Possibly a "modified Victorian" style with lots of turrents and gables and such, and primarily pastel colors. I never could think of a building style for my Isle of Skytasia in TS2, that's why it never got anywhere. UH HUH

I'll see if I can find some screenies to post of my TS2 fantasy lots, for those of you who aren't familiar with them.

This is all disjointed... I can't even keep up with my thoughts! EVIL LAUGH
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:12 pm

(Oh good, it looks like the collages ARE linked, even though the amount of work to do to finish the TS2 side of my site has made me think I'll never finish - at least not before TS4 comes out! lol)

Cloud Keep: (The first one!)

http://www.meadowbrookhomesforsims.com/ts2/lot_057.html

Sky Rose Manor:

http://www.meadowbrookhomesforsims.com/ts2/lot_058.html

Sky Dreams Dorm:

http://www.meadowbrookhomesforsims.com/ts2/lot_055.html

Crystal Sky Keep:

http://www.meadowbrookhomesforsims.com/ts2/lot_097.html
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:17 pm

Ok, this does not look at all promising lol:

No idea why it looks so washed out... maybe it's just the screen or something. It looks good in TS2!
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:18 pm

Started throwing around some "conceptial scribbling" as it were, here's one screenhot:

For the colors of the houses, soft colors like pink, blue, lavender, and soft gray would look good here. And I've got a mountain range name, the Skyrit Mountains, and ideas for glades... either small ponds or whatnot surrounded by lots of colorful flowers in the world or standing in place of parks. The names that have popped into my head so far are Cherilon Glade and Cinnanon Glade. The gray scalloped shingle roof would work well as standard roofing in the world... not much variety available, and that one fits best, style and color wise.

I'd need to make like four terrain paints... clouds and sky from my TS2 fantasy lots, a simple gray rock for the mountains, and maybe a bit of snow for the mountain peaks. Although technically it's not supposed to snow above the cloud cover. But hey, this is fantasy.

For trees, the cherry trees and plumb trees, pink and purple respectively, and maybe some from the two expansions if they have some that fit in. Nothing overtly standard green, I'm thinking. Maybe some of the bright green types like aspen.

For house style, Victorian-esque with gables and towers. And maybe a castle or two (or three) for the upper class area or the mayor (or royal family).

For the world edges... making them look like the world is a cloud "island" hovering over the ocean, as Linda suggested, would look neat.

Some of the stuff from the Fairy store sets would look neat in this world as well, such as the robes in various pastel shades for everyday wear for the inhabitants.

I'm seeing how this could really get pretty! :joy: I can already picture Mulara and Bulan living here.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 3rd, 2014, 9:20 pm

Well, I do think the game really doesn't want me to make this world... *sigh*

Besides that it takes about 5-10 minutes to place one tiny one-click mountain segment while CaW is busy "processing" the world to death on 8 cores... :eyeroll: and I can't even get the mountains to look right at all, especially because it keeps stopping drawing them mid-click... I can't seem to get ahold of the terrain paint I need for my roads.

First, I searched my desktop high and low a few weeks ago when I was forced to turn it on because EQ wouldn't run anywhere else, and yet I couldn't find the image I had created for the roads in my cloud fantasy worlds. Now, I got the brilliant idea to come to the old laptop and extract the image from HomeCrafter, installing one of my fantasy lots if needed. Well, that woulda worked perfectly fine EXCEPT I apparently forget that HomeCrafter had corrupted itself here some time ago, and I never reinstalled to fix it. AND of course the file I need to reinstall is on my desktop, seeing as that EA destroyed the copy on their site eons ago! ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » March 3rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Meadow...you can work around the HomeCrafter problem.

Bear with me...

Go into the latest TS2 EP, and find the HomeCrafter program THERE. I know that it may or may not be "buggy," depending on which one you have.

However, you can use it, even if it's not the GOOD version.

What you'll need to do in order for it to run (or at least what I have to do), is move and/or rename your EXISTING EA Games folder, and start HomeCrafter.

It will come up IMMEDIATELY, and will make new game folders JUST for using with HomeCrafter!

Once I'm done building walls, floors, and TPs, I rename the NEW game folders, and go back to my old ones (after installing all my new stuff, of course). SMILE I just keep the work-around folders in place for when I need them.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Linda, are those instructions for the "new" version EA has on their site? I'm thinking you said something like this before for how to use that version.

I don't believe I have HomeCrafter in the EP directories anywhere... it has a separate installation folder?

I'm not sure what causes HomeCrafter to spontaneously corrupt, but that's what happened to my old laptop (as well as several other times between my desktop and old laptop over the years). Sometimes it's been running fine for eons, and then all of a sudden it no longer boots up at all. Running the .exe results in it promptly exiting and creating error files in the HC install directory. It may possibly have had something to do with installing more than one EP or patch between running HomeCrafter, maybe. At least that was one of my theories. I never verified that one way or the other, and I've never been able to make any sense out of the error files as to what's wrong so that I can repair it short of a uninstall/reinstall. It isn't anything to do with my installed content, I know, as I usually swap in a game data folder with an empty or near empty Downloads folder, because of the issues with HC and transparent tiles and the like, and because HC takes an eternity and a half to load if we have a lot of walls and floors and TPs.

The problems with the current version on the site if I remember correctly is that it appears to run, and stays open in Task Manager as running, but never actually gets there. (Actually, you know I really don't remember it's been so long. FROWN Now I'm thinking it may have just been creating a completely new file directory and refusing to access our existing one.) At any rate, a new directory won't help me this time around, as I need to extract an image from an existing TP. =( I'll keep your instructions in mind, though, if I ever need to create anything new, thanks!
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » March 3rd, 2014, 9:35 pm

Meadow--

This is the version that worked for me the last time I used it. However, I DO have several older versions you could try if this one doesn't work.

As for, if necessary, making a new set of game files...

After that's DONE, just go and copy all your floors, walls, and TPs into the new Downloads folder, in the new set of directories. You DO want to, if you have them sorted (I do), take OUT any transparent floor tiles first. They will almost always hang up the running of HC.

The HomeCrafter app is RARed and split in two. Just double-click the first part to get it to join together, and then unpack it to get the HC installer.

Oh, and I'm sorry I messed up on telling you where to find the newest version! I was thinking of BodyShop. DOH
Attachments
TS2HomeCrafterPlus_Install.part1.rar
(4.77 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
TS2HomeCrafterPlus_Install.part2.rar
(3.37 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:35 pm

Thanks, Linda and Wendy. :friends: I'll try that file, Linda.

Now if I can jut get my mountains to stop looking like shark fins! :rolleyes: I really have no idea how EA expects the mountain tool to be used properly...
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:36 pm

I still have no idea why this is so washed out. :ohno:

This really doesn't seem like anything that would work. :-( I can't even see the road (the little piece over the river). Maybe if I darken the terrain paint images. But then it'd look rotten on my CRT. :-(

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:37 pm

Tried a 25% darkening... looks much better now, I think! ;-) More like what it looked like in TS2. I think TS3 brightens everything to death... :rolleyes:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:38 pm

Some good ideas there, Susan. ;-) I don't think I thought of using some of the sky paint lately outside of the roads... it could be gaps in the clouds. Break up any monotony a bit, and be realistic.

Another suggestion that's stuck at me was Linda's rock caves... they wouldn't really work for houses considering game mechanics, but I'm thinking that maybe a section that has the rocks stacked up in cave formations, along with flowers and trees and bushes would be pretty. (And give me some landscaping ideas for this huge world. :uhhuh: )

You all have had some really good ideas and some of them have ended up on my ideas list in one form or another. ;-)

- - - - -

Just playing around atm trying different things to get ideas for terrains and layout and the like, so you'll see a lot of mess and a lot of changes.

A different attempt at the northern Skyrit Mountains. I added a touch of snow paint randomly to some peaks. Not realitic, but it does soften up the gray and make it more interesting, so I'll probably use it once I get started seriously developing instead of experimenting. I tried a touch of cloud paint earlier (for some higher wispy clouds around the peaks), but it didn't look good at all. :-( I think the snow looks and works a lot better. I'd probably go a little easier on the trees in reality.

A screenshot in game after I darkened the paints.

A bit of experimenting in the beginning with the central garden in the center of town. I'm seeing some potential here. ;-)

I have a very long page of notes in Notepad of ideas... this world truly has a mind of it's own! :wow:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » March 3rd, 2014, 9:40 pm

You know, I think the more I mess with these mountains, the worse they look. :ohno: The trial one just before this looked ok enough, but when I tried to do it for real, I got this:

Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Next

Return to Skytasia