Discussion

The town of Hope Springs is located along the coastline and is nestled amidst a mountain range. Its residents value beauty and appreciate the simple pleasures of life, including spending time with family, friends, and nature. Peace, joy, hope, love, and tranquility reign here. Attracted by all the many flowers surrounding the homes, many butterflies also make their homes here. (Dedicated to Hillcrest 1414). This is a public forum.

Moderator: Meadow9259

Re: Discussion

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:15 am

Sarrah commented...

Any news on when Hope Springs will be done with all of Wendy's Lots and such?
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:15 am

As far as I know, all those lots are in that save you downloaded, aren't they? They're in my save, and I didn't add anything on my own.

I don't believe Meadow ever plans to release the world itself, with the lots in it. It would be pretty much impossible. You can't even get them all into the world in CaW. I tried, with Hillcrest, and it just wasn't going to happen. The only way you can use them all, is to use that save that Meadow made, or to download them and add them to the world yourself, as far as I know.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » February 28th, 2014, 9:18 am

LOL...this is what happens when I try to rush: :wow:

Test_04-25-13_1.jpg
Test_04-25-13_1.jpg (665.63 KiB) Viewed 482 times

Anyway, what Linda said about being able to embed the lots in the world in CaW is unfortunately true. =( There's just no way CaW can handle that many highly detailed lots. One of the problems is that EA made it single-thread instead of multi-thread, so it can only use one processor core. The extension of that problem is that EA made it non large address aware, so it can only use 2 GB of system RAM, max. (I believe people posted a workaround for the RAM issue. The original game also was not large address aware, but EA eventually made it that way by default.)

As far as getting Wendy's lots adapted and repaired and getting the community lots made... I have no clue where the time goes! :uhhuh: I should have had them all done already, or nearly done, but in the words of Regina from Bog Sims Institute that I just read the other day... "I've given up trying to say I'm going to get things done". It was something along those lines anyway, and she sounds like a very wise woman lol. The biggest problem for me has been my extremely severe vision problems, which seem to have gotten worse the past year or two. :tmi:

I've started creating a new save file that is the same as the one I gave out for the last beta version, but this one will be fully compatible with the release version of the world. (Assuming I managed to grab the right Sims3Pack file to install the world from before I started plopping lots, anyway - I have way too many pre-release versions. :uhhuh: ) It's about halfway done, at this point. I'm still extremely surprised you all got the beta save file to work with the release world at all, but as I said before, it is only marginally compatible. When I tried to load it myself the one time, it loaded much, much, much. much, much slower than it did with the version of the world it was saved with, so much slower that I thought it had crashed, and it loaded the trees I shifted right before the last world export and such in their old locations.

I'll also see about trying to put together some kind of basic playable save game file, if I can manage to do so. Most of Twin Rivers' community lot and rabbit holes should fit in Hope Springs because I mostly use standard lot sizes in my worlds, so I'll place those temporarily. I'll also try to throw together some basic lots for the things that won't work, and maybe finish up a few of my in-progress lots. I'm thinking I'll have to cut Wendy's homes down to 40-50 or so, though, if I'm going to be able to get a save file made on here. It's a major struggle trying to get all 117 of her lots placed without the game crashing, and without the save failing, because of insufficient RAM, since this install is under XP and thus can only access 2.5 GB of the 12 GB of RAM I have installed.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:22 am

Yes...exactly the problems I was referencing. Makes it pretty much impossible to do a large world correctly (sigh).

I agree...the beta save does load (and save) slowly. That's why I switched out of it last week. I really wanted to play the world (I made a copy of the save, so I still have my {your} original), but it was just too slow, and I didn't feel like taking the time to cull the lots at that point.

For me, mostly I don't really care. I just like having all Wendy's lots right there IN a world, so I can go in and look at them and be awed all over again. It's kind of like visiting her grave, I guess. Just looking at all her lots makes me remember her so well. :sob:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » February 28th, 2014, 9:23 am

:friends:

I've finished the new save file that has all her lots in it like the old one, but I can't make heads or tails out of 7Zip. :ohno: I can't even seem to get it to create a new archive for me - it just insists on opening the last one I extracted files from when I load it, and I can't see a create new archive option anywhere. I also still do not see a way to get it to save folder structure, other than maybe a -r switch that sounds like I need to use it from a DOS prompt. It has been way too many years since I've done anything via DOS prompt, I really don't remember how. :rolleyes:

In about another five seconds I am going to end up repurchasing WinZip that I already own... and end up paying them for 5 copies of it for 2 computers. :rolleyes: Plus 5 more copies every time I need to reinstall plus... :rolleyes: They might not be one of the companies that's so aggravating about letting us reinstall, but they may also be, and I'm just too afraid to risk it nowadays. *sigh* Even my PopCap games on my laptop are insisting I moved my hard drive to a new computer after I recloned my old backup drive to a new one. Never mind that the laptop hardware has not changed one little bit other than that. Never mind that I've cloned OSes to new hard drives repeatedly over the years, both desktop and laptop, both as expansions and as replacements, and not once have my PopCap games EVER told me I was no longer allowed to play my games ever before. I HATE DRM!!!
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby Meadow9259 » February 28th, 2014, 9:24 am

No idea if this even got zipped right, or if it zipped the right files, or...

Hope Springs Save Game v FLW0.01 (Temporary) - World with all of Wendy's lots
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:24 am

That's weird about 7-zip. On my computer, I right-click on the file folder, choose Add to Archive, and just do it, and it makes the zipped file folder.

If I have another zipped folder by the same name in the same place, it would add the changed things and zip it up, unless I chose a different way. The default is to add and replace. If I don't want that to happen, I just change the name of the existing folder, or move it to a different place, or rename the file I am wanting to create. I don't try to change any other settings.

I've already downloaded this save. It seems to have zipped just fine, and I'm bringing up the game right now, to see what it looks like. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:25 am

Success!

It works perfectly, Meadow, and it comes up very nicely, and I can zip around the map really easily.

Good job!!! Woohoo!!!

Oh! I see, though, that it doesn't have your beach lot on it. I'll grab that from the other save. I love that lot!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » February 28th, 2014, 9:26 am

Great. ;-)

The beach lot will be included with the second save game file I'm working on assembling, the ready-to-play version. I gathered up the community lots from Twin Rivers and Hillcrest Chapel and placed them in the world temporarily. I have about five lots that I'm going to have to build something basic for, because the Twin Rivers' ones don't fit in those spaces. There are a few that are slightly smaller than Hope Springs lots, as well, but I just extended the walkways as needed. The chapel for Hope Springs I've been planning to use a variant of Hillcrest Chapel, I just wanted to make it a bit personalized for the world, probably change the exterior colors a bit.

Remember the Festival Grounds lot I made, too. That one I can't include because it's Seasons and the install I'm making this save from is Pets. I want to keep things compatible for the most people possible, and Wendy's lots only require up through Generations or so (maybe one SP after that if I remember correctly). So Seasons lots will be optional. Although I'll probably eventually make a second save game file if I make enough Seasons versions of lots like I've had in my mind to do.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:26 am

Sounds like a good plan, Meadow! I sure do love the world! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » February 28th, 2014, 9:27 am

Thanks, Linda. :friends: I really was very pleased with the way it turned out, and I love it, too! Oh, and I had forgotten just how well Hillcrest Chapel looks next to Wendy's lots. Wow, did I really build that?! :wow: (Now if I can just make the rest of my community lot builds look like that...yes, I have crazy and unrealistic goals lol.)

I've thrown together a basic Diner, adjusted the Science Center I had started for Hope Springs a bit, and cleaned up the Big Mess I had in front of Hope Springs City Hall to get it playable, although not very well landscaped yet. Been struggling trying to get it to look the way I want it to, like it fits in with Wendy's lots. Haven't quite managed to capture the look I want yet while I've been experimenting with it over the months, although I have some parts I like already. I also went through Wendy's community lots looking for broken lights, and it seems like only the Mayflower Children's Garden's lights weren't functioning properly, so I replaced those. (Or at least most of them, hopefully, since Wendy did a VERY good job hiding the lights in the bushes. I've been playing Hide and Seek. :wow: ) I replaced the lights on all of Twin Rivers' community lots yesterday as I placed them in the world.

That leaves the Supermarket, the Spa, and the community pool that I need to build something or other for before I can have a basic playable save game. I decided to not worry about things like the equestrian center, stables, or fire station yet, since the world can be played fine without them. None of Wendy's lots were designed for Pets, anyway, and I'd actually prefer if the game didn't go around randomly doing fire damage to her lovely homes (I believe I remember people saying that it only does that if a world has a fire station in it?). :uhhuh:
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:27 am

Sarrah commented...

Great job Meadow I'm going to try out the new Save and I can add the extra on my own, also you should try WinRAR it's free and I find it much easier to use then WinZip or 7Zip. Off to try out the new save, thank you Meadow.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » February 28th, 2014, 9:31 am

This isn't finished yet (as though anyone can't tell):
Attachments
Test_04-26-13_1.jpg
Test_04-26-13_1.jpg (703.91 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby psychedelicsim » February 28th, 2014, 9:33 am

Meadow, I just installed Hope Springs and the first save that you uploaded. It's absolutely beautiful! A wonderful dedication to Wendy. :friends: I'm looking forward to exploring the world! If you need help with anything, please let me know!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » February 28th, 2014, 9:33 am

Meadow--you should also add your tribute house! It is absolutely gorgeous, and I love it so much!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Hope Springs