Garage Apartments

This is a public forum.

Moderator: MelodyOkie

Garage Apartments

Postby MelodyOkie » May 6th, 2014, 5:40 pm

I created these in Sims 2 from one of my childhood homes. We lived in the Downstairs Apartment (Family of 5), for a couple of years. (1st through 4th grade). I just had to recreate these for my Sims 3 game and hope you enjoy this addition to your game as well. There are 2 upstairs NPC apartments and the Downstairs is the Rental. The garage is shared as well as the yard, of course.

Be sure to click on the picture for a larger view.

Garage Apartment.jpg
Garage Apartment.jpg (395.96 KiB) Viewed 847 times

GA Downstairs Rental Layout and Public Area Garage.jpg
GA Downstairs Rental Layout and Public Area Garage.jpg (406.58 KiB) Viewed 847 times

GA Back View.jpg
GA Back View.jpg (427.52 KiB) Viewed 847 times

GA Upstairs NPC Apartments Layout.jpg
GA Upstairs NPC Apartments Layout.jpg (364.68 KiB) Viewed 847 times

GA Outside Views.jpg
GA Outside Views.jpg (398.55 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Attachments
Garage Apartment.Sims3Pack
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Garage Apartments

Postby lindawing » May 6th, 2014, 8:06 pm

With a family of five, you lived in that downstairs apartment???!!! Wow!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 6th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Yes. Dad, being an alcoholic, couldn't hold down a job and they couldn't afford anywhere else at the time. My two brothers slept in the bedroom, my parents on a roll-away bed in the middle of the living room and me on the sofa (and no, it was not a sofa bed). And believe it or not, we weren't the only ones. The upstairs unit on the right was also a family of 5. The daughter was older, though, but we went to school with the two boys. Only one child in the upstairs apartment on the left. She and I would walk to the store together when her mom needed something. (Me in the silly hopes of getting a piece of candy for my efforts... it was the only time I got a treat like that.) :friends:

You don't know how thrilled I was when we moved to a 2 bedroom rental home and I got one of those fold out chairs that made into a twin sleeper and I got my own little room - the screened in back porch. I didn't even mind sharing it with the washer and dryer, or it being the main way in and out of the house. I got a little fan for those hot summer nights. Not sure that chair was as comfortable to sleep on as the sofa - but at least I didn't have to share the room with my parents. Only had to share it with my grandmother when she came for a visit. She slept on the other fold out chair. I'll have to recreate that home for Sims 3. I did for Sims 2, but can't remember if I've found it or not to ul it in that section. :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 7th, 2014, 5:58 am

After the 1964 Alaska earthquake, when our land was officially declared unlivable (though nowadays there are four lots out there, being lived on by four families--I wouldn't be, though!), and we were granted a lot in the new town because of that, we started building a new house. My dad was a cabinetmaker, but he was GREAT at building full houses.

Out in the country, when I was still little, we'd lived in a variety of small homes--even smaller than that apartment (one of the places in Valdez, Alaska was an old, 20x20 military tent with a plywood floor, plywood half-walls that my dad built for it, a combination wood cookstove/heating stove, and cots), but for several years before the quake we'd been in a three-bedroom home (created from what was initially our chicken coop), with LOTS of space (though with no running water until about the year before).

After the quake, when everyone was back to living in the old town where most of the homes had been utterly destroyed, the city brought in a bunch of single-wide mobile homes. We rented one of those. It wasn't TINY, but for a family of six, it also wasn't very large. It did have three bedrooms. Mom and Dad had the biggest one, which barely had room for a double bed. Our kids' rooms were big enough for built-in bunks the walkway coming through the door, and built-in closets with drawers underneath. You could barely turn around in the walk-in space. If someone was sitting on the bottom bunk, you had to ask them to move, before you could get anything out of the drawers. :rolleyes:

In the new town, Daddy first built what later became his workshop. It was totally open living except for the one small bathroom. He built some half-wall partitions between the kids' "room," the kitchen, and the "master bedroom." I'll build it for us, too. It was in the shape of a T, floorplan-wise, with the small living room being the stem of the T.

The house that he then began to build was much fancier, with two stories, three very large bedrooms, and two bathrooms. I never got to live in that house. I married my now-ex-husband, and we moved into a tiny travel trailer. Later, we lived in a string of trailer homes and small apartments. I never lived in a large house until David and I got married, and even then, our kids were sharing bedrooms. We lived in a fairly large house in Aberdeen, Washington, but here we are back to a small house, which is cozy for just David, Jonny, and me, but put just one more person in here, and it's pretty crowded! ;-)

The only times I've ever had a room completely to myself was after David and I had already been married 20 years, and he decided he couldn't sleep with my apnea keeping HIM awake, and now, again, here, now that I've finally moved into Mom's room (it was a little over a year after her move to a care facility when Jonny first was here, that he got it painted and ready for me).

So I totally understand your living arrangements back then, Melody. I wasn't aware that anyone else had shared my types of growing up experiences with small living areas! HIGH-FIVE! :friends:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 7th, 2014, 6:20 am

I'm stoked! I searched for "houses on Oumalik Street in Valdez, AK, and found the houses that we built after the quake! It's a 3-D street map picture, so it makes it look a little weird, but I took a screenshot, so you can see the little house on the left, and the big house on the right. The addition at the right of the big house was never there, even when I was back living in Valdez with my mom, in the early 70s (with four kids, in a small trailer house with a wannigan/lean-to).

It looks like they've broken this place on Oumalik up into two lots, now, with two driveways (the one at the left used to be shared between the two houses).

I can't build these houses correctly in the Sims, because of the slant-leg, modified A-Frame style. Due to that style, these houses are among the strongest, most earthquake-proof types of houses there are, which is what my dad was aiming for at the time.

HomeOnOumalikStreet.JPG
HomeOnOumalikStreet.JPG (74.12 KiB) Viewed 840 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 7th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Those are really neat homes!! How exciting that you were able to find them!! This gives me a new perspective now when we watch "Buying Alaska" (I think that's what it is called). :joy:

(The "Sims" Garage Apartment is much larger and nicer than the actual one we lived in.) :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 8th, 2014, 4:23 am

I've never heard of Buying Alaska! I'll have to watch for it, now!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 15th, 2014, 9:08 pm

I love your little apartments Melody!

What an interesting thread...those are very unusual homes Linda! Pity you didn't get to live there, but good you got to see them again ;-)
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 15th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Thank you!! :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS3--Residential--Apartments